By: Coach Biz
A job interview isn’t just a chance for the hiring manager to grill you about your education, experience, and work ethic; it’s also an opportunity to ask questions to see if you truly want this job you are working so hard to receive. Asking good questions will also show that you are interested and prepared.
As you prepare for a job interview and jot down questions, keep these tips in mind:
- Ask open-ended questions. Avoid questions that can be answered with a simple yes or no.
- Prepare more questions than needed. Many of your questions will be answered during the interview. Plan to ask 3-5 unanswered questions from your list.
- Don’t ask about salary or benefits – yet. Wait until you are in the final steps in the interview process to ask these questions.
Questions to ask during the job interview
Here are a few questions to consider adding to your list:
Questions about the company
- How many people are in this department/office/company?
- How would you describe the company culture?
- What have you enjoyed most about working here?
- Do you offer continuing education or on-the-job training?
- How does the company measure and reward success?
Questions about the job
- What is a typical day/week for a person in this job?
- What kind of work can I expect to be doing in the first year?
- What are the most important skills or experience required to do this job?
- How do people grow in this job?
- Can you tell me about the team I’ll be working with?
A great final question to ask is about the timeline, such as: what are the next steps in your interview process or when will you be back in touch with me? A question like this provides closure to the conversation and allows you to know what to expect.
For more interview tips, check out our blog and career resources! Or if you’re looking for your next job, check out our current openings!
About Coach Biz: The job market can be a challenging place! Lucky for you, Coach Biz is here to answer your tough questions. He shares career advice on our Facebook and Twitter pages and on this blog! Click here to read all of his posts. Have a question for Coach Biz? Email us!