Have you ever stopped to think about how your job might be affecting your health? It’s time to consider healthy habits that can help you avoid feeling rundown and zoned out. Here are a few simple changes you can make to help you concentrate, handle stress, and perform at your peak:
- Take a walk. Getting away from your workspace for a few minutes of brisk walking, inside or out, will help you refresh physically and mentally. Consider scheduling your next meeting as a walk-and-talk to stimulate new ideas while burning a few extra calories.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated helps prevent that 3pm energy slump. Add a slice of fresh lemon for some zip. Sugared and diet drinks don’t have the same benefit as water. Even when caffeinated, they can make you feel sluggish later in the day.
- Say no to sweets. Ditch the donuts and candy bars. Instead, reach for a handful of raw nuts or a piece of fruit. Mixed nuts are an easy way to get a delicious dose of protein in a convenient, shelf-stable package.
- Pack a lunch. Not only will this habit save you money, but it can benefit your waistline because people who bring lunch to work tend to eat smaller portions.
- Stretch. Pause at regular intervals throughout your workday to stretch tired or stiff muscles in your hands, neck, shoulders, back, arms, and legs. Mix it up with standing or sitting moves to release tension and stress.